Monday, November 19

Guess who?

 
Emery Jane Scott arrived on 10.12.12.
She is healthy and happy - we are so thankful!!  That's the short version - if you want the long version....keep reading!  :)
 
When we met with our doctor at the 40 week appointment, she suggested the option of being induced on the due date since the baby wasn't here two days before. We struggled with making a decision on what to do...should we give the baby a few extra days to arrive on his or her own timing?  I was grateful to have had an easy pregnancy and since there were no health concerns for me or the baby, I thought we might should wait.  However, I also was excited to meet our baby boy or girl, and John Neal had time off the next week.  I decided to give an old fashioned exercise a try, and I wrote down a pro/con chart for waiting vs. inducing. (I know...super dorky) One of the main incentives was our dr. was on call that day and if given a choice, I really wanted her to be the dr. who delivered our baby.  Since we did have a choice, we chose to go ahead with the induction....
 
Making this decision meant it was go time.  We would be checking into the hospital in 24 hours...I needed to wrap up things at work, JNS had to run a few errands and we had to get the house ready to bring home our baby!  It's funny how we were "ready" for it at any given moment (hospital bag was packed & car seat was in the car), but when you know you have a specific date you create all kind of tasks that feel mandatory. However, necessary or not, we got it all done.  Including a final date night with John Neal before baby - we ate at The Optimist on the westside (delicious!), and we rented a well-timed movie, What to Expect When You're Expecting (hilarious).  
 
  John Neal and I took Mully on a quick walk before heading to the hospital Thursday night.  I was feeling some pretty consistent back pains that later turned out to be back labor...although it wasn't comfortable, it certainly helped move things along once we got to the hospital! 
 
I took a picture with Mully before we took off for Northside...big brother-to-be. 
 

We arrived at the hospital and got checked in to our delivery room.  I remember feeling strange about this....so weird to know we would be in this room for the next 24 hours or so until he or she arrived. 
 
 
John Neal was a great partner during this process - he was supportive and encouraging throughout each phase. 

 
He also doubled as a DJ (providing some tunes in the hospital room), comedian (keeping the nurses & dr. laughing) and his best role....announcing to our family and friends that
It's a girl!
 


 
 
Although I couldn't see or hear them in the waiting area, I was so excited and grateful that our friends and family were there for the big reveal.  :)  Someone was a tad stubborn (apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and in her case, either tree) on making her debut so a lot of friends were waiting in the hospital for hours and family was there all day....y'all have no idea how much it meant to us that you were there!!! 


 Here is our little sweetheart....Emery Jane!  She has a double name like her daddy. 
Delivery stats: she was born at 7:07PM, weighed 7 lb. 8 oz. and was 21 inches long. 
 

I know I'm her mom and  my opinion doesn't count....but she looks super cute here.  :) 
 

 
Somehow, after 48 hours of giving birth, they let you leave the hospital with a tiny human.  It's a bittersweet feeling to be released from the hospital - excited and relieved to be back home, but nervous to be without the 24/7 help from the nurses.   Luckily, we survived the early days (with much help from our parents, sisters, and friends) and now we're just learning to navigate this new way of life....I think we're in for a fun ride.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment